Pages

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Blue Dust Forbidden

Title: Blue Dust: Forbidden
Author: Katy Krump
Genre: Fantasy
Page Length: 269 pages
Tour Organizer: B3 Tours









Book Link:  Goodreads

Buy Links:










Synopsis:
All teenage girls keep secrets and Kerry Johnston is no exception. More than anyone else she knows how to lie, for ‘Kerry’ is an alias and her life is a nightmare of secrecy, violence and fear. In reality this overweight, limping teenage girl is Qea, a Forbidden child from the Qarntaz Octad, sent to Earth to hide from the warlord she has betrayed. Born third into her family in an overpopulated world where surplus offspring are Forbidden and killed or delivered as fodder for the malevolent Inquisitors, Qea has spent her life in hiding. 

Qea (Pronounced Kee-ah) is a girl with an unusual history. She comes from a distant galaxy where warlords rule the law and corruption is rife, so she must become hard to survive, but here on Earth a young man will change her heart and risk her life, changing it forever.


Kj's Review
  I wasn’t sure what to expect when I started to read this book, all I knew was the title. I was pleasantly surprised to find a tale of a girl who has been hidden on earth to save her life. She comes home to find that her current family is gone and transforms herself into Donna. As Donna she gets a job, a place to live and even meets a boy named Adam. She gets too comfortable in her new place, too trusting and gets caught. Along with Adam she is transported back to her home planet.          
  She’s an incredible person who was termed a “forbidden” child, as the rules were families could only have two children, and as a third child she had to remain hidden. Qea, her name on her home planet, life’s story unfolds as she is trying to save herself and Adam from the horrors around them. As they learn more about what’s going on, well, I will stop here and let you read it for yourself.
  I truly liked this book, it’s very well written. My imagination was very active while reading this book, I could see in my mind the wonders that were being described. I am in awe of the talent it takes to create a book like this. I would like to thank Katy Krump for giving me this book to read and review.

Guest Post: Adam's Letter
Adam’s Letter to his brother

Hi Ben,

Not sure where you are in Afghanistan, but I suppose you can’t tell me. Hope you’re safe, mum’s so worried all the time. I’m not because I know you’ll come back safely. How’s the shoulder? I met a girl, don’t laugh! Her name’s Donna. As you know I don’t usually hit on girls but there’s something about this one. She’s funny, and immediately got my joke about ‘Margerine’ – you know that skinny woman called Marge who works at the coffee shop near Tesco? Donna’s working there and wonder of wonders, actually seems to like me too! She’s interesting, you’d call her weird, and she is a bit, different from the other girls I know. I’m not sure what it is about her, she has a look in her eyes, sadness or desperation, it’s hard to pinpoint it exactly. She’s also able to change from warm to cold in an instant. Creepy. She’s beautiful, well I think she is. She’s a bit chubby and has the most amazing blue eyes that can look right through me. Her hair’s brown but I think it’s dyed as the roots are blondish. I’ve caught her watching me with this puzzled expression on her face, almost like she can’t believe I’m talking to her. We’ve been spending time together, walking on the beach, talking. She’s reserved about her life, doesn’t seem to want to discuss her past with me much. Gotta run, cello lesson, will get back to this later.

Later…
So the strangest thing happened, a bit scary. I snuck up on Donna as a joke and grabbed her and next thing I know I’m flat on my back and she’s on top of me (not like THAT you freak!) and I swear she was ready to break my neck. Gave me the creeps. She tried to make a joke about it but she scared me. That man Jordan is also acting weird. He’s far too interested in Donna, asks questions about her and wants me to introduce them. But I want her all to myself, is that wrong? Jordan makes my skin crawl. It’s only because he’s keeping me out of prison that I have anything to do with him. What do you think? Should I let him meet Donna? What if he’s one of those men that has a thing for young girls? Although, after today I’m pretty sure Donna can take care of herself. I’ve invited her to my concert, the first girl I’ve ever invited…hope she likes jazz!

Much later…
Well, I suppose this letter is futile now. I somehow doubt you’ll ever see me again, Ben. I need to have a bit of a cry….

Don’t know why I’m bothering to write this as you’ll never get it, but I have to try and make sense of all of this somehow. Turns out Donna isn’t who she says she is. My head is spinning from everything and I’m not sure if she’s completely mad or if I am, because, here’s the thing; I’ve been kidnapped by aliens. First Donna turns into this raging psycho lunatic, kidnaps me and ties me up in one of those old mines, and tells me she’s from another planet, another galaxy no less, then Jordan shows up, zaps us with a taser thingy and I wake up on a boat and a huge guy tries to cut my hand off, but we manage to escape. Donna swam off and left me – oh yes, totally bizarre, the water is red and the sky is yellow and the dust is blue! So I’m blundering about this alien place trying to find her but I haven’t a clue how to survive. I stole some clothes off a washing line – the buildings are all made of glass and this crystal-like material, quite amazing. I’d better get my act together quickly or…well, I haven’t the faintest idea what could happen, but all those men saying they’ve been experimented on by aliens….turns out I might be as mad as they are. The best thing would be to try and find Donna, well, now she calls herself ‘Qea’ something like Kee-yah, but with a funny click that I can’t make. Whatever. What about my mother? And school and my friends. What about my music? I’m supposed to be going to study in London soon. No. This all too weird. I must be dreaming. Mustn’t I? I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to finish this letter, and what’s the point because you’ll never get it, Ben. I know you’d love all this and tell me to embrace the adventure, so I’ll try to do that. I’ll also try to stay alive and get back to Earth one day. Mum could never cope with losing two sons, could she? I can’t bear thinking about her.

If anyone finds this letter on my dead body, the address is on the envelope, please post it…what am I saying…post it? The sticky air of this place must be gluing up my brain…I’m so hot, sweaty…where the hell is that girl now??? I could kill her for getting me into this.

My name is Adam and I’m from Earth.

Meet the Author:

Katy was an English and music teacher before almost losing her sense of humour (and mind) and deciding she needed to devote herself to the thing she loved most - writing. She published a number of children’s musicals and then became a full-time television scriptwriter for children, entered a nationwide scriptwriting competition and was selected to be on the writing team of a popular South African soap. She also worked as an advertising copywriter, wrote radio ads and jingles, educational textbooks and readers...anything writing-related to keep the wolf from the door. Basically, she’s constantly writing, books and TV scripts and if not that then plotting, planning and scheming how to take over the world!
Like her creation Qea, the feisty heroine in Blue Dust: Forbidden, Katy understands something about being an alien after she embarked on a new journey, crossing the galaxy to settle on a new planet (England) many moons ago. Some like to call this process 'immigration'. Katy is now a proud possessor of a maroon Intergalactic Wayfarer Permit and has come to love the aliens she mixes with daily.

Author Links:  Official Web Page  Facebook  Twitter  Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment